Monday, October 31, 2011

The Ides of March

I know this isn’t typical but I just saw The Ides of March and I’m compelled to write a review on the movie. To avoid sounding pretentious I’ll use an age-old cliché to express my thoughts on the movie, but I’m also avoiding sounding unintelligent so I may slip a few showy remarks in with said cliché. A good movie should be like a good meal (such a predictable comparison, my apologies) the drink and the appetizer should draw you in and the entrée should win you over. In this case the “drink” is the aesthetic qualities of the film. The cinematography was great, lots of fundamental, yet attention-grabbing uses of angels, lighting, and a come-full-circle feel with the beginning of the movie and the end being shot in the same format/style. On the most base of levels the attractive cast can alone keep your attention (yes, Paul Giamatti, I’m looking at you). So the movie progresses and it’s fairly predictable as a respectable appetizer should be (think spinach dip or steamed artichoke) and you’re feeling satisfied enough, when, all of a sudden the chef brings out the entrée and you’re completely blown out of the water. I don’t want to give anything about the movie away but it has been so long since I’ve seen something that’s kept me on the edge of my seat in both a suspenseful and intelligent way. As someone who prides themselves on being able to predict the outcome of most films, this movie went in a direction I would have never foreseen. I’ve been having my doubts about Ryan Gosling as an actor, and not just another pretty face, but he absolutely won me over with this film. Now I will quit ranting and do what I’m supposed to here, so I created an outfit inspired by the lady-interns of the film (there was a boot theme I kept noticing…)

Untitled #61

J Crew knit top
$70 - jcrew.com

Buckle jacket
$81 - romwe.com

J Crew wool skirt
$98 - jcrew.com

Black hosiery
$15 - modcloth.com

Stacked heel
$65 - dsw.com

Betsey Johnson black jewelry
$95 - betseyjohnson.com



ps- I've had way more fun making this post than I've had creating them in a while, hope you all enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

  1. blah now i want to see it! unfortunately paris won't have it for probably like 6 months. lovez it guuurrrl

    ReplyDelete